We've featured Turkey before, but since we've been bringing in more and more Turkish products in store, we felt like Turkey was worth revisiting again! Besides, Turkish food is delicious and we're excited to share more recipes with you!
To help get you ready to cook up a Turkish feast, make sure to stock your kitchen with a few key ingredients commonly found in Turkish kitchens:
- Olive oil - there is simply no substitute for good quality olive oil. Opt for cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.
- Bulgur - made from cracked durum wheat and high in nutritional value, bulgur is a popular staple ingredient, used in salads, meatballs, and vegetable dishes.
- Baldo rice - the most important use for rice in Turkey is for making rice pilaf. Baldo rice is a plump, short grain rice that is perfect for pilaf dishes.
- Yogurt - a thick yogurt is used for dips and sauces, and often tops meat and vegetable dishes.
- Herbs & Spices - parsley, dill, mint, cumin, coriander, sumac, paprika, dried spearmint, pepper, aleppo pepper, cinnamon, and allspice are all handy spices and herbs to keep on hand.
- Eggplant - there are a variety of Turkish dishes made with eggplant. The most common dishes are dolma (stuffed eggplant), fried eggplant served with yogurt sauce, and Musakka (braised roasted eggplant with spices, aromatics, and tomatoes).
- Tomatoes, onions, zucchini, garlic, cucumber - along with eggplants, these vegetables are the most common ones used in Turkish cuisine, served both hot and cold.
- Tomato Paste or Pepper Paste - these pastes make a great base for marinades or dressings, stews, vegetable dishes and meat dishes. They come in mild or hot varieties.
All Month we'll be featuring a different Turkish recipe to give you some inspiration in the kitchen. We also carry a variety of Turkish products and brands in store: Reis, Torku, Mehmet Efendi, Caykur, Ulker, Tamek, Melis, Tat, Sera, and much more.